Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Crazy Little Thing Called Queen

Do you call it growth when something you used to dislike is something you now think rocks?

Before, I wouldn't have touched Queen (or any glam-rock band for that matter) with a 10-foot pole. But after hearing an album revived from storage, I actually like their music.

Maybe because I miss good ol' rock and roll. None of the depressing, brooding, vague noise that's now passed off as "alternative rock"

(what the heck does that term mean anyway?)

"Alternative" is such a relative word. What's called alternative rock now's so popular. So is that still alternative? I wonder...

Besides the gay undertones of some of the songs, Queen actually has great lyrics as well.

From the quite profound like in Save Me
I hang my head and I'll advertise
A soul for sale or rent
I have no heart I'm cold inside
I have no real intent
Save me save me save me


to the downright silly like in Bicycle Race
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like

You say black I say white
You say bark I say bite
You say shark I say hey man
Jaws was never my scene
And I don't like Star Wars...


Will I outgrow this in a few weeks? Maybe so.

But for now, I'm enjoying a good thing. And for a few minutes, that's all I need.

Don't you just love it when music does things like that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i LOVE Queen. hehehehe. kami ni Val, actually. galing eh. hataw sa talent Ü