Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Charis listened.

I've always had them in my playlist but up until a few days ago, I haven't really heard them.
-------------------------

Last Sunday night when 'Kabayan' was pouring over Baguio, I found myself stuck in my room playing Bejeweled 2 on my PDA. Having no other form of entertainment I decided to play mp3s on the device randomly selecting the closing theme of the movie 'The Untouchables' (a copy of which is posted in my music section). The idea was to let the music drone in the background while playing the game as I've done so often in the past.

Maybe it was because there was really nothing much else to do; perhaps it was because the music was written by one of moviedom's greatest composers; or simply that I was in a highly emotional state, but for some reason, even at the first few strains of the score, I was compelled to stop playing the game, put the device down, stare at the ceiling and just lay there.

While it may have been said a million times over in a million different ways, it just blows my mind how truly gifted artists can string such beautiful sounds together - music that moves you so much so that at the end of the score you were misty-eyed and couldn't tell why.

And so in that chilly, dimly lit room and for the first time in a long, long while, I listened again to music.

No comments: