Friday, August 04, 2006

Ha Ha haaaaaaaaa - pkumph.

I felt like a Hobbit today.

So I had second breakfast.

But that's not the real point of this entry.

Was at my usual haunt nursing my second styrofoam cup of coffee. By that time, a lot of people were already having healthy breakfasts of fried chicken and burgers.

Since the place was fairly packed, it wasn't unusual for newcomers to ask to share tables with those already there. My table was no exception.

Approaching my table was this lady. Let's call her Ms. PopEars (you'll know why....)

We smiled politely at each other (a perfunctory gesture among strangers compelled to share common spaces, e.g. cramped elevators, crowded lines, and lacking fastfood tables).

Shortly after that, we proceeded to mind each other's business. That is, until I heard Ms. PopEars go...

"Ha... Ha... haaaaaaaaa - hpkumph"

After 5 seconds….

“Ha…. hpkumph"

I couldn’t help but steal a glance. Somehow, part of me truly, madly, deeply, (desperately!!!!) wanted to tell her…

“FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR EARDRUMS…. STOP THAT! DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING TO YOUR EARS?!?!?!”

But of course, I didn’t say anything.

People would think I was being rude.
It would’ve been helpful advice… but who asked for it?

Certainly not Ms. PopEars.

And so, that being said, I finished what was left of my already cold coffee, proceeded to the trash bin and disposed of the Styrofoam cup and made my way to the exit.

As I stepped outside, I heard again the sound of a doomed cochlea….

“Ha… Ha… Ha…. hpkumph"

No comments: