Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Is this a cure... or is this a disease?*

*(title borne out of listening to audioslave for the who-knows-what time today)

So yeah, I'm typing away at the 'puter, writing this. It's 3:50pm and I should be working on cash flow and sales analyses. I guess I could pass this essay off as work. I mean, I am at a computer, writing.

But then again, who am I kidding?

Sometimes, being your own boss isn't necessarily a good thing. Especially if you tend to condone your employees' laziness.

The data that needs consolidating has been rudely abandoned at the other desk. Somehow, literally turning your back on work seems to make procrastination easier than it already is.

It's funny how the energy it takes to bring yourself to become industrious and conscientious is inversely proportional to the energy it takes to be a bum.

For some reason I am reminded of one of those things taught in physics class, particularly the Third Law of Thermodynamics which states:

"As a system approaches absolute zero of temperature all processes cease and the entropy of the system approaches a minimum value."


In other words, given enough time, all things turn to crap.

Somehow, this applies even to office work.

So how's this for applied science:


"As the boss approaches absolute intolerance for procrastinated work, all monetary compensation will cease and employment approaches minimum value."


Sigh....

No comments: