Thursday, July 24, 2008

"I can do all things"

At the risk of sounding like a trite piece of inspirational prose, I dare share this little piece of introspection.

Anyone who's been around Christian "stuff" and paraphernalia may have come across Philippians chapter 4 verse 13 which says:
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Many people interpret that passage to mean that because they believe in Jesus who gives them strength, they're essentially Superman (or that everything that they set their minds to will happen).

One colorful example would be some of the contestants in those early evening game shows on TV: Some guy claims he'll get the jackpot prize because "will ni Lord!" or some lady prays to the high heavens and keeps invoking the Holy Spirit to win that house and lot.

In less dramatic situations, some firmly believe they will not experience hunger or sickness; their careers or businesses will always flourish; they will never be in dire need.

I'm not discounting anyone's faith but still I wonder, if they don't win the jackpot, or if theire business is failing, or if they can't make ends meet?

Who's at fault then? God?

Which leads me to question: who are we to know what God's will is? I mean, are we supposed to be clairvoyant or something to assume that WE KNOW what He wants? To assume we WILL get that million dollars because to quote the verse: "I can do everything" ?

Then I read the entire chapter. Here's what verses 11 and 12 say (I've added verse 13 as well to pull everything together:

(v.11) "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

(v.12) "I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need."

(v.13) "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

It's interesting how when put into context, the passage takes on a entirely different meaning.

We were never promised an easy life.
It never says we will always get what we need and want.
We were never promised prosperity
We were never promised perpetual success.

What we were promised with was grace.

Grace to be content in whatever state we are in.
The grace to know how to behave when full and when suffering need.
Grace to know that the strength we use to be successful or the strength we draw on to endure dire distress is not from ourselves, but from Him.

I just thought I'd share it with you guys.

Shalom.


No comments: