Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Yahoo! talaga!

So I'm using Ubuntu at the office. (I COULD say it was because I support the open source movement and am defiant against indiscriminate profiteering. But really, I'm just too cheap to shell out money for Windows OS.)

While running on Linux is great. (No more anti-virus programs! Whoopee!) There are some drawbacks. For one thing, I can't run the YM client anymore. The last version Yahoo! released for Linux is soooo old, it's pathetic.

And since there is no more YM client, there's also no more Launchcast applet.

I can't even run Launchcast via a browser, because I'm on Firefox. Yahoo!, in all its wisdom, has decided to run Launchcast on IE only (I'm not sure what the situation is for Safari or Opera, though).


DOES NOT LIKE

BIASED.

BUSET.

Now for those who survive their office hours by listening to internet radio, to be told you can't use Launchcast anymore is like being told you can't use the toilet.

EVER.

You have to give me some credit, though. I DID try to go cold turkey. For a while, I survived on Last.FM and Live365.

But I kept going back to all the time I've spent rating my favorite songs and artists on Launchcast.

All that hard work! There's got to be a way! It's just GOTTA!

This afternoon, the symptoms were SOOO bad, I spent a good part of the afternoon looking for a hack.

And to rephrase the much loved saying "Walang di nagagawa sa Recto."

My new mantra is:
"Walang di nagagawa sa Google."

After much keyword searches:
IE emulator on firefox linux
run launchcast on firefox
user agent switcher
Error 32 Launchcast

the answer came simply enough:
launchcast on linux (gee... why didn't I think of that before?)

I was able to find this solution:
http://playker.info/launchcast/

Now after some configurations on CLI (that's 'command line interface' for you GUI-only users), I'm happily listening to my playlist that's not seen me for a good 8 weeks as I write this post.


And what have I got to say?
One word:

Yahoooooo!


And now, back to your regular programming.


No comments: